Monday, November 17, 2008

Life Begins at 40!

I just turned 40 exactly 30 minutes ago according to my laptop clock.

A friend told me once...

This is the age when you start feeling sleepy all the time (check!), when you'd rather stay home and be a bum even when all the malls are on sale (check!), when you start referring to music you're not familiar with as noise (check! --- Anissa will agree to this)...etc, etc, etc.

So why...despite all these "warnings" do I feel so giddy about turning 40???

I can't really put a finger on it. But I do know that part of the reason is HOW I got to where I am. Looking back, I had my share of some pretty bad deals (doesn't everyone?). Mistakes were committed, friends came and went, some terrible choices were made. I'm looking at this checklist though and I see that it's lopsided. Why? Because I've got a whole lot more listed on the GOOD column.

I don't feel the need to be specific about everything I've gone through to get to where I'm at today. Suffice it to say...even the WORST of times yielded long-term positive results. Even the meanest, "baddest" people I've come across left very valuable lessons without even knowing it. Most importantly...

DESPITE ALL THE BUMPS ON THE ROAD
THE PEOPLE WHO MATTER MOST TO ME
ARE STILL AROUND TO HELP ME CELEBRATE
THIS ALL-IMPORTANT MILESTONE

I guess that's really why I don't feel bad at all about turning 40. Why does "40" sound so bad to some people anyway? As the old cliche goes - "Age is just a number". And it really is. I honestly don't think a person is "over the hill" once he/she turns 40.

In fact, life SHOULD get better because at this point, because of everything I've gone through, I've learned to choose my battles and worry less about the small things.

I've never been happier in my life.

Will I be saying the same things when I become a golden girl in another 10 years? I sure hope so.
Meantime...

I'm going to sit back and enjoy all the great things that are out there waiting for me.

YES I'M 40 and I'M LOVING IT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment