Saturday, December 8, 2012

On Cloud 9



My eldest must still be floating. Just hours ago, she received her first ever medal as a member of her school's High School dance crew, Terpsichore. The team joined the annual Lactacyd Confidence ConfidAnce Finals this morning and took home the championship title --- for the 2nd time in a row.

Rewind to her Freshman year. She was already a member of the Pep Squad. She had been so from the time it was formed. But as early as two years ago, she already tried out for a spot in Terpsichore. This crew is really good, they've always been known in dance circles as a team to reckon with. So Anissa was heartbroken when she didn't get in. As a parent, your heart bleeds almost literally for your child when she/he is hurting. Mine did! But I had to give her the proper advice. I told her to keep trying until it happens. If it's meant, God will surely make it happen but not when SHE wants it. 

The following year, she tried again. And again, she didn't get in. WOW. I was beginning to question whether the Terpsichore was really for her. I slowly tried to convince her to think things over. That maybe staying in the Pep Squad was the thing to do. But ... you know what they always say. If God wants something to happen, He'll make it happen. In the summer of 2012, Anissa excitedly told me that she was invited to join the Terps' summer training. This was it! To cut the long story short, here we are today!


She tweeted this photo earlier and said : 
It's still so surreal. Thank you so much for giving me the chance to live my dream, Coach! 

I teared up because I suddenly remembered all those times she came home disappointed and crying and me, trying to fight the urge to cry with her and telling her to just wait for the right time. She did and and her patience and perseverance totally got her to where she is today. 


No longer just dreaming and hoping :) 

My kids may not be aware of it but whenever they're happy, I'm always several notches happier. 

I'm so proud of you, Anissa. May this be the first of many! 

To God Be All The Glory!

“So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” (1 Corinthians 10:31)

No comments:

Post a Comment