Sunday, November 28, 2010

A Surprise from my Teenager


Now and then, I'd surmise about how my 14 year old has slowly weaned herself from my "clutches". She has discovered a world all her own, which includes her Pep Squad friends, her iPod and cellphone, her laptop and YouTube. Family has become a side priority, more like an obligation. Nothing personal, I know. She's just being a typical teenager and I remind myself of that from time to time.

Just like any typical teenage girl, she dislikes public display of affection, especially if it comes from me or any other elder in the family. The only person she hugs and kisses in public is her 4 year old sister. Other than her, everyone else is off limits. She still depends on me a lot, but more for things like money or shopping, sleepover approvals and the like. There's none of the stuff I've been missing so much...i.e., hugs, kisses, cuddling in bed, etc. I get that a lot from the toddler now (thank God).

Very recently though before she went to sleep one night, I mentioned to her that I would have to stay up to do some work which I had reserved for the very late hours so that I could spend some time with them first before they called it a day. We said our usual good nights and then I was off to deal with my paperwork, with a heavy and very tired heart.

The next morning, I overslept and woke up to find that she had already left for school, but not without leaving this on my nightstand. Despite knowing that I would be facing so many challenges at work, my day was made.

Thank you, big girl for this wonderful reminder --- that no matter how distant you may seem to be, busy discovering yourself and enjoying teenage life --- you still have time to think of me and appreciate the little things.

No comments:

Post a Comment