Friday, February 8, 2008

That scary letter C

Unlike DH who had to take care of his DF when the latter got sick of liver cancer and later on of my MIL who passed away just almost 2 yrs ago, I've never had to deal with a very sick loved one. So I really don't know how physically and emotionally draining it is to have to do so.

The Big C runs on my DM's side of the family. A lot of female relatives (older ones) on my grandmother's side had breast cancer. DM's youngest sis has been battling with it for years now. Her other sister, the one who came right after her (and may I say, one of my all-time favorite Aunts whom I miss terribly), passed away a few years ago in the US after a very short fight with Non-Hodgekins Lymphoma. So when I heard that another aunt, DM's older sister and the 2nd child in a family of 9, my dear Tita Marita was scheduled for a biopsy, that seriously got me thinking. Thankfully, the biopsy results (although not what we were all hoping for) didn't tell us she has the Big C, too. But the findings are enough to warrant another surgery and 6 radiation sessions after that, just to make sure they clean everything out.

You hear and read about young women (and I mean in their late 20s or early 30s) battling with and having survived cancer and you think --- wow, they're so young, how can they deal with something as drastic as cancer? But that's the reality of it. The Big C can hit just about anyone : young or old, rich or poor. Scary because I have this thing against doctors and check-ups. I only go whenever I'm pregnant because I know I have to. Otherwise, I simply don't. Friends keep telling me that at my age I should already get a mammogram. Mammo what??? But this is not about me or my stubborn streak.

It's about the Big C's obvious presence in my family. Don't really want to dwell much on it right now. I've been praying really really hard...for Tita Marita, for my Mom and for all the women in my family.

Kuya Rick...keep me posted k? Love and big hugs to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment