Wednesday, August 27, 2008

FLY FREE, Mama Gran





My Grandmother passed away shortly before 7 o'clock tonight.

When my DM texted me this morning that she was rushing to Tarlac with my DF today instead of tomorrow, I immediately sensed that something was wrong. Lola or Mama Gran (as my kids call her) was moved to the ICU from her private room because she was going to be fed via a tube but somewhere along the way her blood pressure level dropped drastically.

My DM kept texting me with updates throughout the day and when she sent me this message, I knew it would only be a matter of time : Dad and I just arrived at the hospital. Lola looks like she's ready to go home. She's almost gone. Please bring out all your white clothes. I don't want anybody wearing black. Then another text in the afternoon : Her breathing is slowly failing. After that, a phonecall from my DF. He told me to pray because we would be losing her soon. I was so glad I was already with my BFF at this time because I really, really needed a good cry. And in less than 2 minutes after DF's call, another text from my Mom : Lola is gone.

I somehow knew that she might have just wanted to celebrate one last birthday with us, hence, the trip we made last Sunday to see her. I'm happy I was able to kiss her one last time before the drive back to Manila.

There's still that heavy feeling even if I've been crying since I was told. I'm both eager and afraid to go and see her remains tomorrow. I know it will be so difficult to see her. But despite all the sadness, I am truly thankful that she lived such a full life and passed on peacefully, without any pain and for having had a grandmother like her while I was growing up. I'm proud to be able to say that I had a grandmother whom I knew so well.

Thank you, Lola for everything. You were the only grandparent I ever really knew. Thank you for sharing with me your love for writing beautiful letters and for the many times you reminded me to keep writing. I'm sorry that I've forgotten my Spanish eversince it became too bothersome for you to keep sending me those handwritten notes but I treasure those times when I would write you all those letters in the language that was like your second tongue, and seeing how proud you were of my progress. I'm sorry that your "plans" of sending me to a university in Sorbonne did not materialize because (I think), I opted to stay here and be with my friends whom I refused to part with. My growing shoe collection and love for fashion and all things pretty will be constant reminders of who started it all --- you. Whenever I dance, I'll always remember why it's one of the things I love doing most. My girls are very lucky to know what it feels like to have grandparents, just like I did.

Fly home, Mama Gran. Heaven will be a much livelier place with you around. There'll be lots of dancing there from now on, thanks to you.

I miss you already

I love you dearly

1 comment:

  1. Condolences Patty. I'm saying a prayer for her now..

    ReplyDelete