Thursday, August 21, 2008

I'm Praying For Gentle Release


I spoke to my maternal grandmother on the phone last night. DM called me from the hospital in Tarlac where she's confined and put the cellphone next to her ear so I could say hello. But DM said Mama Gran didn't react when she heard my voice, which to me is surprising, because she always said I was her favorite grandchild. But I don't blame her. I have not gone out of my way to visit her lately. And now I'm afraid it might be too late...

She's been in and out of the hospital recently. The latest reason for her confinement is pneumonia. When DM told me this, I knew it would only be a matter of time. She'll be 89 this Sunday and has lived her life to the fullest.

Now hooked to a heart monitor and an oxygen tank...we are just really praying for her to be taken quietly and without pain. DM said Mama Gran cried after a priest prayed with her earlier.

The photo in this entry is my favorite of her, taken some 20 years ago when she was in her 70's.

I'm frustrated...I can't find Mama Gran's letters. I kept them somewhere but I can't remember where. We used to write each other a lot BY HAND in the days when e-mail was unheard of. She was living in LA and I was all the way here in Manila but we never lost touch. I need to find those letters!!!

Current mood : very very sad
(P.S. Bong and Zha, Kuya Rick and Haz ... I'm sure you're updated but I made this entry just in case you haven't been informed)

No comments:

Post a Comment