Sunday, August 24, 2008

Why I LOVE Anissa's School

I'm being totally SARCASTIC of course.

But before that, what started all this was report card distribution yesterday. First Quarter grades. ONE OUTSTANDINGLY RED MARK in Filipino and a couple other "almost didn't make it" grades in Hekasi (I'm not surprised) and Science. All major subjects. Major bummer. This is the first time she was given a failing grade in anything. She's not an honor student but I know she could be, if she were less "tamad" about schoolwork. Although there was never any pressure on her to be an excellent student. Habits are more important for me.

I was happy when the teacher said she can take remedial classes to bring her grade up. That means the red mark is not the final quarter grade --- whew!

Here's why I was reminded of how much I LOVE this school...the remedial classes are NOT FREE. There's a fee of PHP 1,500 for a total of 8 sessions. Needless to say, this already disgusted Mom (I love her school, remember?) freaked out. PAY FOR REMEDIAL CLASSES??? Since when??? Somebody correct me if I'm being OA here but I distinctly recall that remedial classes are supposed to be free of charge?!

I immediately called up BFF and ranted. She agreed...why charge parents for something like this? She said in her childrens' school this isn't done at all. Then again...her kids go to Woodrose and Southridge so dapat lang. Plus her kids never had to take remedials, they're all super duper smart and consistent academic awardees (mana sa ama). I found out from her that she's having the same problems with her eldest though. He's turning 14 and brought home line of 7 grades for the first time since he started going to school. He's always been on the honors list and now...shockers! I guess it's really a phase they're going through. There are more important things on their minds at the moment...friends, gadgets (hate them), making telebabad, listening to music on their iPods, going out (in BFF's son's case, not Anissa's) and for Anissa, her varsities --- cheerleading and more recently, she also got into the volleyball varsity. I'm scared to press the fast forward button and try to see what it's going to be like when she's in high school.

Oh well...this panicky Mom has time to calm her nerves. Thank God, Anissa is with her DF for the long weekend. I won't be this freaked out when she comes home to us tomorrow. She's in for one very long sermon.

No comments:

Post a Comment