Friday, March 29, 2013

Ongpin on Maundy Thursday


Our drive to downtown Manila was by no means an accident. I wanted us to go to the churches in the area for Visita Iglesia and then have some kind of nostalgic dinner in one of the popular eating places there. I first thought of going to Wai Ying because the dimsum choices there are really good, but I worried about how small the place is. We really didn't have much of a choice because when we got there, the place was chaotic! Traffic was horrible and parking was a problem. We found one of those empty lots and parked the van there. Mama's knee problem kept us from walking too far from where the van was, so we chose the nearest place. Not bad, not bad at all.


Would've wanted to go to President Grand Palace but the walk would've been longer. President Tea House is an old reliable, so we were all okay with it. Besides, the kids were hungry.

The thing I like about this place is the fact that they still have a dimsum cart. Shallow? Maybe haha. But I like the fact that dimsum is readily-available and doesn't have to be ordered. We got our usual orders of Siomai and Har Gao to tide us over until our orders arrived.


Appetizer : Century Egg and Jelly Fish
Just the way I like it! I don't enjoy the spicy ones so much. Seems most Chinese restos serve jelly fish (or seaweed) this way nowadays. President still makes it semi-sweet, which is the way I remember it from my childhood. 


Seafood Hotpot --- a no brainer for my family. This is always a go-to dish for us.


Mama wanted this. Beancurd with 3 kinds of Mushrooms. Double yum!


Shrimp Balls! Anything shrimp is welcome at our table! Hahaha. 

And for dessert ... another favorite


It's their version of Mango Sago. Taste wise, I can't complain. I just wish they would serve it the traditional way, in a bowl with a spoon. Sipping it gave me major bouts with brain freeze LOL!

After dinner, we braved the traffic and crowded streets to get out of Binondo because we still had 4 churches to cover. Despite the slight hassle, I'm glad we thought of going. It's been a while since we ate  or did anything in the area. Going there made me miss my Dad. He would've enjoyed all the food we had.

Hope everyone's having a really quiet Good Friday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment