Friday, December 7, 2007

Back in the rat race!

Today was my first day back at work. I am now officially a tax-paying citizen again blah! It's weird because I only had to report at 11am for a short briefing and then meet over lunch with the rest of the team to discuss a forthcoming event we're participating in then I went straight home BUT I am hopelessly sleepy!

That's the advantage of being a Consultant. It's considered part-time work (only 3 full days a week in my case) so I still have time to spend with the kids at home. Weekends are still generally free except when there are events, such as the one happening in 2 weeks. Consultancy work isn't necessarily less stressful. In fact, during the meeting today it was clear to me how much these people have been waiting for me to come on board because there was so much work to be done and they desperately needed an extra hand. I'm glad though that my bosses are so trusting and have expressed their intention to let me take the lead as far as this project is concerned. Very few companies take empowerment seriously. Fortunately for me, it looks like I won't have to worry about throwing my ideas around and seeing them executed.

Before going home, I made a quick stop at Power Plant so I can grab a decent Mead notebook from National Bookstore (I will buy my Moleskine after I get my first paycheck haha!). I walked past Starbucks and saw a group of women who looked my age, drinking coffee and chatting the afternoon away. They looked like stay-at-home Moms who were just killing time while waiting for their kids to come out from school. I thought to myself...just yesterday, I was one of them and I was like that for close to 2 years. Ang sarap ng buhay nila! Then again, it was really my choice to start working again. To each her own nga naman diba?

The next six months (that's how long my contract is) will surely be hectic but I'm certainly looking forward to being back in the loop again, even if it looks temporary right now. Tomorrow at 3pm I sit down with a 3rd party agency for some below-the-line requirements. The old familiar setting

Feels good to be back!

Posted on 03 Dec 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment