Thursday, December 20, 2007

She's a real fighter!

This is why I haven't been blogging lately...

It has been a crazy, crazy week.

Thursday night last week, Sabine broke out into a fever. Temp was manageable, around 38.6 so I gave her a dose of Tempra and put her to sleep. I assumed it was because her lower incisors were coming out at the same time. She didn't have any difficulty sleeping so I rested well that night. Woke up the next morning at 5:30 as always, to prepare Anissa for school and this time Sabine's temp was at 39.4. I gave her Tempra again and asked yaya to give her a spongebath right away. Soon after, she became okay. In fact, the reason I felt comfortable about going to work was because the fever had gone down considerably and she was dancing to Dora the Explorer on Nickelodeon. The whole time I was in the office, I kept checking on her condition and yaya assured me everything was alright. She was eating as always and still dancing, a clear indication that she didn't feel sick at all. I decided to end my day earlier than usual because I was out on the field anyway and ended up in the Mandaluyong area so by around 4pm I was driving home. I texted DH and he said he, too, was on his way home from nearby Greenhills.

When I walked through the front door, I could hear Sabine crying and screaming from inside her bedroom. Yaya was giving her a sponge bath because her temperature had shot up to 40 right before I arrived. I checked again using the digital thermometer and it registered at 40.8! Neal arrived less than a minute after that and I immediately pushed everyone into the car, texted our pedia that we were on our way to Cardinal Santos because Sabine was burning up.

Got caught in a bit of traffic along Wilson St. but made it to the ER soon after. DH dropped us off at the entrance and he said he would park the car. When I walked in, a pedia resident approached me to ask if Sabine was Dra. Tan-Ting's patient and I said yes. I was pleasantly surprised that they were waiting for us to arrive. The resident left us for a while to look for a vacant bed when all of a sudden, Sabine stiffened and began to shake violently in yaya's arms. Yaya and I looked at each other and I screamed for the doctor to come back! We got her a bed, they lay her down on her side, started to suction her mouth then immediately put a mask over her face to give her oxygen. The next few minutes were a blur to me. I remember crying non-stop and talking to Sabine to hang on and not go to sleep (I didn't know what I was thinking, of course) and yaya did the same. At one point, I remember shouting at one of the doctors not to talk to me because she kept on telling me to calm down.WAS SHE KIDDING??? My kid's eyes were white and her lips were blue and I was expected to calm down? Buti nalang hindi ako marunong manuntok! I swear I could have given her a fist at that precise moment. I was angry, terrified, feeling like I wanted to faint. I was so torn! A part of me wanted to run out because I couldn't stand seeing my daughter that way, but the other part of me wanted to stay and make sure she would come out of it okay. I'm sure you mothers know what I'm talking about. It's hard to explain but that's just how I felt. Can you believe how good GOD is? What if DH and I hadn't come home early? What if the traffic along Wilson was worse? She would have had that seizure at home or in the car and nobody would have known what to do! GOD made sure Sabine was in the hospital when it happened, where she would be surrounded by people who could take care of her. AMAZING!!!

DH was lucky because he only caught the last 20 seconds of the seizure and not the worst part. When he walked into the ER, I felt my knees buckle and he almost had to catch me. I remember that I just kept on crying and crying and crying even after it was all over. When they were about to insert the IV needle into her hand, I began to cry again. Sabine's pedia who had arrived earlier and was supervising everything, grabbed me and made me turn around so I wouldn't have to watch what they were doing anymore. She held me while I continued to sob unabashedly. But you know the funny thing that happened? When Sabine regained consciousness and was taken off the oxygen, she was so mad that she talked so loudly nonstop for the next 5 minutes (in her own language, of course). She sounded like she was reprimanding everyone around her, demanding an explanation of what just happened to her.

Fortunately for us, we didn't have to stay very long in the ER waiting for a room. Neal got one right away and we were wheeled out of there soon after that. They did all sorts of tests on Sabine : a urinalysis, complete blood count, blood sugar count --- the works! I still can't bear to look at her arms and hands today because all the marks are still there.

We're now back at home after spending 5 days in the hospital. Turns out she had Urinary Tract Infection and that caused the fever, which in turn, caused the seizure/convulsion. The scary thing is, everytime she gets a fever from now on, I just know I'll be so scared that this same episode might happen. Atleast I know what to do now (and so do yaya and DH), thanks to the Pediatric Neurologist who examined Sabine.

I am just so glad it's all over and she is well on her way to recovery. I'm still trying to recover from all the trauma myself. Tonight, before DH and I had dinner we both prayed not just for our meal but for Sabine's full recovery. We're both so relieved that we don't have to spend Christmas in the hospital and thankful that our little girl is her usual happy self again.

No comments:

Post a Comment