Saturday, December 29, 2007

My Dad is Superman...

...or so he thinks! He's the most stubborn person I know. The thing he hates most is going to the doctor. He's been self-medicating for as long as I can remember. Even before he retired, he never took advantage of the yearly executive check-ups provided for top executives like himself. So when he says "I want to go to the hospital", I'm supposed to get really, really scared because that can only mean he isn't feeling well at all.

DH, Sabine and I were all set to go to Megamall earlier tonight to buy a TV rack for the master's bedroom when I got a call from my Dad's friend, EP. I was asked if I had spoken to my Dad earlier and I said I hadn't. Turns out his blood pressure shot up to 200/100 just a few minutes back and his friends were sending their driver over to pick him up and take him to Medical City.

I arrived at the ER less than half an hour after that phonecall and found my DF lying on a bed in one of their cubicles. His bp was still the same and I began to panic a bit. It was hard to conceal my fear because I knew he was nervous too and I didn't want him to worry about me.

I had flashbacks of being in the Cardinal Santos ER just before Christmas when we rushed Sabine there and I truly hated the fact that I was in another ER so soon after that traumatic experience! I had goosebumps the entire time and I kept praying they wouldn't have to keep DF in the hospital.

I am now finally home after spending a good 3 1/2 hrs in Medical City and I'm glad DF was sent home, too. He was just told to continue taking his maintenance meds and given extra medicine to take care of his nasty cold. Apparently, what could have caused the episode was his intake of Neozep, which he shouldn't have taken in the first place. Hayyyy!!!

As I type I'm still texting him, reminding him not to disregard doctors' orders and to post the written instructions on his nightstand so he wouldn't forget to take his medications. He's joking around and calling me "makulit" OA just like my Mom. Argh...sino kaya ang makulit na ayaw makinig???

Hirap magpalaki ng magulang!

No comments:

Post a Comment