Sunday, December 23, 2007

Pre-Christmas woes (with a happy ending hehe!)

Months ago, I had to let go of my all-around helper whom we had all grown to like so much because of her pleasing disposition and eagerness to learn. She lost her eldest son to Tuberculosis and although she wanted badly to come and work for us again in order to repay her debts, we couldn't take the risk. I was heartbroken to say the least. I wanted to continue helping her. They're dirt poor and she really needs to work to feed her family. Since then, I haven't been able to find a decent replacement for her. But it wasn't much of a huge problem because I only went back to work part-time recently. Last month, I thought we had finally solved our problem when we found another helper. I spoke too soon! Talk about a nightmare! I never had major helper problems before. My yaya's been with me for almost 12 yrs and I had another helper before who stayed 6 yrs with us. This new one was something else though. I thought I had heard enough horror stories about helpers but this one was just too much for me to handle. To cut the long story short, I got rid of her a day after we came home from the hospital with Sabine. Bad timing, I know. I had to report back to work the day after and yaya was so tired from all the stress in the hospital. But she was this huge headache that wouldn't go away no matter how nicely we treated her (I know I may come off as mataray and snobbish at first glance but I'm really good to my helpers and treat them like family---maybe to a fault sometimes). So there, she was gone in an instant and I again found myself wondering when I could replace her. I called and texted everyone I knew to be on the lookout for me. I've never gone to an agency and unless I'm truly desperate, I never will. A lot of people say that helpers who come from agencies are even bigger problems most of the time so I don't even want to consider talking to one.

Luckily, SIL's "manang" found us another one almost right away. She came to the house last Wednesday and as soon as I met her, I knew instantly that things were going to be okay. You know that feeling you get in your gut? I've always relied on it, especially when it comes to hiring people (even at work). Sometimes all it takes is one conversation, even for just a few minutes, and something will tell you whether this person is right for the job or not. I felt a lasting sense of relief when I met and talked to her for the first time. I can't really explain it, it's just there and it tells me "okay yan, go ahead". 3 days later today, I still know I was right. I've talked to her a few times about her family, her goals, why she decided to work. Inspite of the sadness she feels about leaving her 2 small kids behind at home, she has this generally happy disposition and that's what I like most about her. Not to mention the fact that she's really masipag and has initiative. I don't need to tell her what to do because even before I open my mouth, I usually find out she's done it already.

Haaayyy salamat, I can rest easy for now. Yaya is leaving for her annual vacation on the 24th and will be gone for 2 weeks. I didn't have the heart to stop her because she usually goes in August and wasn't able to leave this year. She's a mother too so I understand why she's dying to go home.

Oh and as if the helper dilemma wasn't enough, a day before we checked out of the hospital, DH discovered that a water pipe burst and we had a leak in the living room! WHAAAT??? Stop stop stop ayoko naaaaaa! So needless to say, we came home to a chaotic environment. My furniture was stacked, the ceilings were bare, everything was in disarray! My poor girls had to be locked up in their room, airconditining 24/7 and were bored out of their wits. Thank heavens for DH's super powers...he was able to find someone to do the work right away and they worked really fast to fix the problem. Now the house is back to normal and the kids can run about again like they're used to. All is quiet on the homefront and I'm so happy that even if we had one problem after another, it all still happened before Christmas. Last-minute nga lang but atleast!

And so goes my pre-Christmas rant. Not really a rant because we're all thankful that things have settled down just as the festivities are about to begin. I'm so looking forward to the party we're attending tonight. Our first time to have fun again after everything that's happened, plus we'll be with good friends whom we haven't seen in a while. I don't care that we have to drive all the way to Sta. Rosa, Laguna to do this. It's something we truly deserve and will surely have fun doing (I'm trying my best not to imagine the traffic along the SS Highway later).

Tomorrow, DH and I will be out the whole day because the girls still don't have their Christmas clothes and shoes and we haven't bought them their gifts too HAHAHA. Our middle names might as well be "last minute".

Breathe deeply, Patty! Only 2 more sleeps and it'll be Santa time!!!

P.S. I almost forgot to mention just how thankful I am for having my DM around. She's always there when I need her (and even when I don't, she insists that I need her anyway). She took care of the house while Sabine was confined, monitored Anissa because I didn't want her to sleep in the hospital with us, took control of just about everything while DH and I were running around like headless chickens! Thank heavens talaga for mothers!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment