Monday, May 7, 2012

I miss Singapore



The sights, cleanliness and discipline are what I miss most. Nevermind that it's hotter and more humid compared to Manila. The fact that the place is alikabok-free makes it a winner.


The food ... the glorious food
Plus the idea of eating in a food court is never discouraging because their food courts are clean, huge and servings are as generous as the ones dine-in restaurants. I wouldn't mind eating in places like Din Tai Fung, of course. I'm saying their food courts are never a sorry choice either.


The shopping ... but let me qualify that.
Only when the shops are on sale, because a lot of times it's more expensive compared to Manila prices. Plus, there are only a number of shops that are not here yet - Sephora, Cotton On, Victoria's Secret are some. Note the leftmost photo though ... the only brand I hoard on whenever I'm there is Charles and Keith. Cheaper by P300-P500 per pair. Hence, the multiple shopping bags on the stroller. I also love Singapore's local brands for clothing and shoes. You'll find most of these in department stores like Takashimaya (Ngee An City), Isetann, Tang's. Bugis Junction, which reminds me of a more upscale, Greenhills Commercial Center, is one of my favorite stops because there are bargains there if you look carefully and are patient about going around. The GST refund is something you shouldn't forget to take advantage of when you're there. Accumulated purchases in one store on a single day (minimum of Sgd100) automatically entitles you to claim it. On one of my business trips, my GST refund paid for my meal - not food court - and some pasalubongs for my staff at Changi Airport before flying back.


Most importantly (and this doesn't just apply to Singapore), it's the precious time spent with the kids and seeing how much they're enjoying every minute of it all. That's hard-earned money well spent. 



Hoping to go to Hong Kong sometime in the 4th quarter but yes,
I'm really missing Singapore terribly. Need to plan a return trip soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment