Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Day, Mama



Mother Goose
Mama
Momsie to my daughters

She refused to be called Lola from day one, when I gave birth to Anissa 16 years ago and for good reason. She was only 46 back then. She had me at the very tender age of 18, months after she finished high school and married my Dad. 

In the photo above, I was probably a freshman or sophomore in high school. So maybe, she was around 32? At 32, I had only one child, a toddler. I was having the time of my life at 32, while she had frequent headaches, I'm sure. 

We went through a rough time during my teenage years and through my college days. She was my Dad's spokesperson, so naturally, I saw her as the enemy. Looking back, that was a really unfair judgement I made of her. Mainly because I am the same to my own teenage daughter today. 
The Bad Cop. 

I don't have a choice though. It's something I need to be. I'm sure other Moms can relate. 

I try as much as I can to recall the times when my Mom and I had verbal disagreements or when I simply hated her and would keep it to myself. I do this to guide me through difficult moments with Anissa. 

A friend who has a daughter older than mine once told me ... 

Don't bother to win them back while they're in their teens. You'll just drive them away even more because you're the last person they want to be with. Ease up on the nagging and the mushiness and the clinginess without giving up authority. They always go back to their mothers. It's human nature. Wait til she turns 18 then you'll be inseparable. 

I've cherished this advice eversince my friend gave it to me. I can still remember her saying them each time Anissa and I don't see eye to eye. I believe every word because this is what happened to me and my Mom, too. 

Today, I can't even imagine why I disliked her so much. 
I've never really apologized for making things hard for her back then. I guess Mothers don't really need to hear it. We're like that, right? 


MAMA, there's only one thing better than being your daughter

It's being the mother of the children you love and adore so much

Thank you for everything and for all that you continue to sacrifice for all of us

It's so cliche to say that you're the best Mom in the whole world

So let me just say, despite the many times I was less than ideal to you

I never ever asked for anyone else to be my Mom and I'm so glad I didn't. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Mother's Day greeting! Cheers to you as well. What a heartwarming post. I'm sure your mom will appreciate this.

    ReplyDelete