Friday, August 10, 2007

Job hunting woes

I started actively looking for work just last month and already, I've been to several interviews. Sadly though, the right opportunity hasn't presented itself YET.

And when I thought I had seen it all, here comes the interviewer from h*ll.

I received a text from a headhunter a few days ago, informing me of an opening for Sales Director in a relatively new real estate firm. I was a bit hesitant to jump because I had never heard of the company before. So I did a bit of research and I actually drove by their showroom somewhere in Ortigas Center. Not bad, I thought. So I told the headhunter, okay I'll go to the interview. The next day, the company's rep texted me the details...be in our office at 830 am tomorrow and bring a copy of your CV. Argh...830??? Oh well...beggars can't be choosers so at 10 minutes prior to the appointed time, I sat myself in their conference room, opposite another applicant who was busy filling out several sheets of paper. I was given the same set of papers to fill out and I thought to myself, "What's all this? I'm applying for a top level position. Do I really need to do this?" Don't get me wrong...I've been to so many interviews, enough to know how an interview should be conducted based on the position you're applying for. Anyhoo...it seemed I had no choice so I spent the next 20 mins writing. During this time, two more applicants joined us in the conference room and were asked to do the same thing.

An hour later, all four of us were still seated and waiting to be called. We had introduced ourselves and were engaging in some time-killing chit chat. Another half an hour passed and we were finally led to the 2nd floor where the actual interviews were to be conducted. The 45-yr old guy who used to work for a Chinese tycoon who owns a beer brand was called first. Around 15 minutes later, it was my turn.

My interviewer looked young, really young. At this point, we were already a bit irritated at the fact that we had been asked to wait so long, we had already wasted so much of our time. The others still had to report to work. I sat down in front of my very young interviewer and he started to speak. In this fake American accent, he asked me, "So how should I call you?" I stifled a giggle. I was never good at pretending so I had to try really, really hard not to laugh in his face. He spoke with so much confidence, I actually felt sorry for him. Further through the interview though, I no longer did. I started to feel insulted that someone so inexperienced was interviewing candidates for a top level position. I don't think he even knew how to conduct an interview! He kept going around and around in circles. He had my CV in his hand and yet he couldn't get the facts correctly (i.e., thought my most recent employment was my very first --- hello!!!).

By the time I left the place I was pretty sure that they wouldn't call me back for a follow-up. I managed to intentionally screw things up by correcting the guy's grammar hahaha! But my gosh!!! I had never felt so insulted in my entire life (modesty aside, seriously!)! At that point I stopped and asked myself : Are you really this desperate for a job???

Yes, I want to work. Yes, I NEED to work. But NO, I don't want to work for a company who on the first interview has shown sure signs of a lack of professionalism. So there...I'm moving on and I've decided to be a bit more cautious the next time around. Good luck to me! =)

P.S.
Did I mention that while I was in the conference room, I could overhear one of their managers reprimanding a staff member? He said things like: "tanga", "sira ulo", "masaya ka!". Hahaha --- the corporate jungle's version of ISKUL BUKOL! No way! =p

No comments:

Post a Comment