Sunday, September 9, 2012

Hello Mammo!


So we finally met yesterday. The mammogram machine and I. I don't even know if that's what it's called BWAHAHA. I'm 8 years late. Why? Because there's a strong history of breast cancer on my Mom's side of the family. Yup, you should be extra concerned if it's on your mother's side. I should've started getting annual mammograms 8 years ago when I was 35. The usual starting age is 40, if you don't have family history. So there. Don't be like me, kids. I'm not a good example at all. 

Like many women I know, the reasons I didn't get myself checked are as follows : 

Everyone said it was painful
I was afraid of what the doctors might see
I simply didn't give a crap

Where do you think that got me? 


This is what greeted me when I walked into one of the Examination Rooms at the Breast Clinic of The Medical City. Was it overwhelming? Not really. It's huge but there were no first-time jitters for me, thank God. I was hell bent on doing this upon my surgeon's advice. 

Ten to fifteen minutes. That's how long I had to stand there. In fact, I didn't have to stand the whole time. The girls who took care of me and operated everything were so well-trained, I felt like royalty. They made me sit down every time they had to check the screen. During the procedure itself, when that entire block of metal slowly goes down to press on your breast, the technician's soothing voice is there to tell me it's not going to take too long and that she's sorry for the inconvenience and discomfort. 

I left the hospital feeling just a tad bit regretful. This was what I had been postponing and taking for granted all this time. It was so easy and didn't feel like a burden at all to do. Why didn't I do it any sooner? If I did, would I have breast cancer today? Water under the bridge. I'm not the type to cry over spilled milk. So I got rid of that shitty feeling right away. No way, I wasn't going to be sad about this. 

It's all in the past and I need to just keep moving forward so that I can be well again. 

Also, when I use the words "sick", "illness" I hope people are not thinking I'm lying in bed at home, being served my meals in the comfort of my bedroom, not being able to go to the bathroom by myself or anything like that. NO I am not debilitated. The cancer is in my breast, not anywhere else. It's also in its early stage. I think my senior relatives are under the impression that I'm in a pathetic state. Oh please! Hehehe!!!

How much does a mammogram cost? - approximately P3,000 (at The Medical City it's P2,700)
How often do you need a mammogram? - once a year if there is no history of breast cancer

Health is wealth!  Don't be a stubborn mule like me!

2 comments:

  1. ok patty... i WILL have a mammo. i just sent the council a letter. i really would have not given it a second thought if i hadn't read your blogs. (i also have a family history of breast cancer plus many other cancers on both sides of the family). you really are a strong person. God bless!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Chinks! Thanks for dropping by. I am so happy to know that you've had a change of heart about getting your regular mammos! I still am not an expert at this, but my journey has so far taught me so much. So if you have anything you want to ask, let me know. I might be able to help you. Thank you for all your prayers too! Take care.

    ReplyDelete