Sunday, September 16, 2012

Meet My Super Surgeons


It's about time I wrote about these two highly-skilled ladies who've been with me on this journey.

I am so glad my OB-Gyne (Dr. Angela Sison-Aguilar) referred me to Dr. Aldine Basa, Breast Surgeon. Dr. Aldine is also my OB's patient and without batting an eyelash, the latter told me to see her ASAP after I showed her my breast lump on the afternoon of August 13th. By the afternoon of the next day, I was in Dr. Aldine's clinic at The Medical City, and the rest is history.

During one of my consultations with her, Dr. Aldine mentioned reconstructive surgery as an option and  said I should talk to Dr. Catherine (Yen) Asedillo if I would like to further explore.

Dr. Aldine's specialty is Breast Surgery. Clinical focus is on cancer and tumors. Procedure focus : billiary surgery, breast surgery, colorectal cancer surgery, endoscopic surgery, laparoscopic surgery, pancreatic surgery, spleen surgery. (Source : Medeguide.com) In 2004, she trained in the Peter Mac Callum Cancer Center in Melbourne, Australia where she took a fellowship in breast cancer surgery. In 2005, she went to Milan, Italy to do another fellowship at the San Raffaele Hospital.

Dr. Yen's speciality is Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery with expertise in plastic surgery/aesthetic, reconstructive, burn surgery. (Source: TheFilipinoDoctor.com) She did a fellowship in Breast Reconstructon at the National University Hospital in Singapore from 2006-2007.

Both have helped me a great deal in understanding breast cancer more. They've been very generous with their knowledge and experience with other patients. I really, really needed to know many of the things they shared to me. I researched a bit and came up with my own list of questions to ask. But they made it so much easier for me by tackling all issues one by one. I don't remember feeling doubtful or fearful about entrusting my well-being to either of them. Each consultation reinforced my decision to go with them. 

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm a firm believer in being led to certain people for a reason. In my opinion, it can go two ways : people are either in your life to bring you pain (and you emerge stronger from experience and from the lessons you take with you) or to be a blessing to you in a very positive way. 

I prayed hard for discernment in choosing my doctors. I wanted guidance from up there because I trusted wholeheartedly in His plan for me from the very beginning. So when connections to Dr. Aldine and Dr. Yen kept popping up from everywhere, I knew that was God's way of telling me, "You're looking at the right people!" Even after the surgery, the connections continued to present themselves. Like God was telling me, "O ano, I told you so!" It is such a blessing to be reassured this way!

Here's something you need to know. It's your right, as a patient, to choose your doctor/s based on a number of things. In my case, the first thing I did was to look for information on Drs. Aldine and Yen online. I found so many, including some press releases in broadsheets and popular glossies. Armed with all the information I had and my GUT FEEL, I decided that these were the doctors I wanted for the job.  Why my gut? It's always a huge part of any decision-making process I find myself in. It may not be the same for other people, but I've never made any major wrong choices whenever I consider my innermost feelings. One of my guiding principles has always been : when in doubt, DON'T. Yes, that applies even when I'm out shopping har har!

Oh and can I just say that these awesome doctors are younger than me?!
Thank you so much, Dr Aldine and Dr Yen! You both rock!!!

Dr Aldine Basa, Breast Surgeon
Dr Catherine (Yen) Asedillo, Plastic Surgeon
P.S. Both have clinics at The Medical City, Ortigas Avenue, Pasig on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays


No comments:

Post a Comment