Friday, July 4, 2008

3 strikes and you're out

I've written about Anissa's school before and how disorganized they can be sometimes. It's only been a little over a month since the school year started and here I am dealing with another issue. Anissa was told yesterday that there will be cheerleading practice today. Fine. I can forgive the last-minute advise (I should be used to it by now), but that's not what ticked me off. When the girls looked surprised because they didn't know about the practice much earlier, the teacher had the nerve to tell them they would be kicked out of the varsity if they don't show up for practice.

What the h*ell was this woman thinking?! It's enough that these girls are under a lot of pressure to perform well academically, worry about homework and peer pressure. She had to add to it??? It was totally uncalled for! Besides, it was clearly HER fault. She could've made an announcement much earlier but she didn't. Threatening the kids with "expulsion" from the varsity was definitely below the belt!

Anissa was so stressed out last night because when she told her DF about it, he got very upset and told her she was not going to attend, just to prove a point. My poor girl got so scared of being kicked out, she began to cry so hard. I see her DF's point. If we agree to let her go, it's like saying we're okay with the way the school does things. We're not slaves. We have our own busy schedules, too. Did that teacher even think for a minute before laying the rules down on the poor girls? What about the parents? Is she so sure everyone can re-adjust their schedules and/or weekend plans just like that? I'm totally pissed off.

I spoke to Anissa in the car on the way to school this morning. I told her, it's okay to tell a white lie this time. Tell her very smart teacher that she won't be able to attend the practice because the family is expecting her home on the 1st trip due to plans we can no longer adjust. Then I'll make a follow-up call during the day to complain and explain and (this is the part I'm dreading the most) ask the teacher not to take Anissa out of the varsity.

I'm just killing time, allowing my anger to subside a bit before making that phonecall. If I do it right now, that teacher is going to get an earful from me!

2 comments:

  1. is your daughter from spcp? if she is.. oh my gosh.. i can relate. i hope this teachers know what their talking about at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. malnoe00...how'd you guess? do you have a daughter there too? i'm glad someone can relate. i can't believe that even without mentioning the school's name, the scenario i talked about sounded so familiar to you. that only means i'm not alone in my frustrations.

    ReplyDelete