Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Hair by Chiyo

Finally got that much-needed haircut today! I've been feeling so bored with my hair eversince I started growing it. It lacked character, it was too bulky and I was getting tired of having to blowdry every single time. I first read about SEI SALON in Girltalk. All the girls who've gone to Chiyo Tagami had only good words about her and everyone was really happy with whatever they had done. But Chiyo's forte is precision cutting. In a Phil. Daily Inquirer article, she was tagged as the stylist responsible for Gretchen Barretto's bob. Even when she was based overseas, Pinoy clients would seek her out just to get a haircut. That was enough to convince me to try her out. I wanted something new...maybe something short again like what I've gotten so used to all these years. But I was open to anything, even to continue growing my hair, so long as she could add a bit of spice to my otherwise boring 'do.



So there! How would I rate the experience? I really liked it. The staff's professionalism is something I haven't seen nor experienced in other salons. They don't chit chat with one another or do other things. They're 100% focused on the stylists and the clients. Chiyo is really meticulous. She first asked me what I wanted. I must have sounded so undecided (which I really was) because I kept asking for her opinion so she told me, "Bottomline? I do what my customers ask me to do and make small suggestions here and there. I never impose on my customers." She sounded very straightforward, I thought. But I guess that's just her. I noticed how strict she was with the staff, which explains why everyone acted so disciplined and well-trained. We agreed that she would maintain my hair's current length and to help ease the burden of having to spend so much time blowdrying, she did a lot of thinning. I still have to blowdry but not as much as before. The cut she gave me is still basically a bob. I can continue to grow it if I want. Seriously, my head felt so much lighter after she was done. No more helmet hair! This might sound a bit funny but the best part was when they shampooed my hair after the cut! 15 minutes on the shampoo chair --- no kidding! My scalp feels squeaky clean! And the massage...it almost made me fall asleep!

The damage to my wallet? P1,500. Yup, quite steep I know. I'm El Cheapo and I never imagined I would spend this much on a haircut. But when you watch Chiyo at work, you can see how talented she is. It was obvious to me that she knew what she was doing. The whole experience lasted a little over 2 hours, that's how meticulous she is. The other thing I loved about the salon is they don't pressure you into getting other things done. I didn't ask for anything other than a haircut and that's just what I got. No sales talk. Zero.

And oh...I forgot to mention. If you can, please avoid going in groups. I counted only 6 chairs in the place, plus 2 shampoo stations. That's it. No manicures and pedicures here. SEI SALON is all about hair. Next time, I might just ask Chiyo to give my hair a spanking new color!

SEI SALON
6F Republic Glass Building
196 Salcedo Street Legaspi Village
Makati City
8120943

6 comments:

  1. hi patty! wow you look really sleek and stylish! galing! me want din to try that salon. do I need to get an appointment? i do hope the place don't look intimidating to step into hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, nes! You should go and try her out when you have the time. The place is not intimidating at all. Emphasis Rockwell (where I've been going for about 3 yrs now) is a lot more intimidating with all those designer bag-toting ladies you see all over the place. Get an appointment because I heard that sometimes Chiyo's slots are really packed. I was lucky I got the slot I requested for. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice hair Patty! I super miss my shorthair! But I need the length for my wedding next year! Sigh..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Didi! Oo nga pala you have to make tiis for your wedding. Nevermind, it will be worth it! Just get it chopped off the next day? Hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh, thanks for the address. been contemplating trying out a new stylist for short hair. and mas okay nga talaga these foreign stylists sometimes - they chatter less than the locals!

    ReplyDelete