Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day Musings (1 of 2 parts)


Growing up as an only girl can be both tough and rewarding. I was the apple of my Dad's eyes and my brother was Mom's baby. Until I was about 15, I got everything I wanted, sometimes without even asking or having to produce good grades in school. Dad was generous to everyone but he was especially generous when it came to me. Soon after that though, things changed a lot. He began to take on a totally different personality with me. All of a sudden, I was dealing with a very strict and overprotective being. I couldn't go out, couldn't stay on the phone too late, couldn't entertain calls or visits from boys. On occasions like proms and other school-sanctioned events, I was allowed but on the condition that I would bring a male cousin along as chaperone AND have the driver and yaya wait outside in the car for me.

No sleepovers or hanging out with friends after school. On rare occasions when I would be given permission to attend something, my friends were allowed to have midnight curfews but I had to be home at 10. Even right before I was to get married, I still had a curfew! I remember that during those years I didn't really hate him. I just couldn't see myself hating my Dad. But I was filled with so much resentment and blamed him for everything I was missing out on. He made no apologies for the way he was with me. He was, after all, my father and had every right to protect me, no matter how unreasonable his approach may have been.

Today, I'm about to hit the big 4-0 and have two girls of my own. He is not the same with them. In fact, he's a lot more relaxed. My 12 yr old can talk to him about crushes and the like, whereas I never would've been able to bring that up with him when I was her age. I was too scared of how he would react! But the resentment is long gone. It's been replaced by a lightbulb moment when everything suddenly became crystal clear to me. Dads are like that. They just have to be, especially with their girls. It's a natural thing, more than anything. It's not even an obligation.

I'm so thankful for the way my Dad protected me. To this day, I feel that nothing and no one can harm me as long as he's around. I wouldn't have it any other way. I feel truly blessed that he's still around so I can tell him how much I appreciate him. My girls are so lucky to be growing up with a grandfather who thinks the world of them.

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, DAD
From your girls who think the world of you too!

No comments:

Post a Comment