Tuesday, June 3, 2008

When will it ever end

Last Sunday, on our way home from our usual dinner with my family we decided to stop by Shell to load gas. Funny because while I was sitting in the car, those huge numbers --- their prices in bright red lights? --- seemed to glare back at me. And I think I heard the voice of doom in my head. Over P50 for a liter of gasoline. I suddenly remembered the old prices like it was yesterday. I also remembered what it was like to have a company-issued Shell Fleet Card which I could just swipe everytime I needed gas (not to mention, a brand new company car just a month after I was hired).

For the first time in our lives, we have seriously started to plan all our trips out of the house. It used to be that when one of us had somewhere to go, the only issue was which car to take. Nowadays we have to be really cautious. I usually ask DH where he's going and if I'm on his way, I tell him to drop me off and then just come back for me when he's done with his stuff. There are days when I really would rather take a cab to get to work because I dread having to get P500 worth of gas, only to see that just 1/4 of my car's tank is fed. A few years ago, I would have gotten by for a whole week with P500.

It used to be so easy for me to get up and leave whenever I'm bored at home. The nearest mall is either Power Plant or Shang and I would usually find myself at either place even if I don't intend to do anything in particular, just to kill time. I haven't been doing that lately. I think of how much gasoline I'll use up and it just simply makes me want to stay put --- no matter how boring it gets.

Today when I saw the papers, the headline screamed at me : P65 PER LITER GASOLINE LOOMS. Great way to start the day, right? I'm officially depressed...

No comments:

Post a Comment