Thursday, June 12, 2008

Which is better --- LeapFrog or VTech?

We're thinking of getting either of these for the kids (well, more for Sabine but we want something that Anissa can also enjoy and help her little sister with). I just don't know which is better. I read through some reviews on the internet but they're really conflicting. A lot of people like VTech. Then again, there are quite a number who are more satisfied with the features of LeapFrog. And so now I'm having a difficult time deciding!

I think Sabine is definitely too young to get the Leapster L-Max, which is recommended for kids aged 4-10. But a lot of good things have been said about this toy. I personally have this thing against hand-held gadgets though. If it's small enough to take with them wherever they go, I can be assured my kids will be paying more attention to it than other things.

Or maybe the LeapFrog LittleTouch LeapPad is more for her? But this one's for ages 6 months to 3 years and she's turning 3 in less than a year. Maybe we won't get too much mileage out of it.

LeapFrog's My First LeapPad
is for ages 3-5

Now on to
VTech...a brand I'm more familiar with because this was already around when Anissa was Sabine's age and I actually invested in a couple of their notebooks then.


The VTech V.Smile TV Learning System is something I'm seriously considering. The console connects directly to a TV and to me that's perfect. Not hand-held! Hahaha! Accessories which are sold separately are : writing pad joystick, art studio, Smart keyboard plus all those game cartridges, of course. It sounds expensive but if it's worth it then I'm all for it!


It hactually has a pocket version...the V.Smile Pocket Learning System
But by now you know why I'm not too keen on getting this


So now, the million dollar question...

which should I get?
Help!!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm having the same problem deciding which one to get my granddaughter for her 4th birthday. I'm leaning towards the smile because it can hook up to the tv at her home but she can also bring it to my house when she stays over. I know what you mean about the hand-helds though. I want her to see what's going on around her and socialize with other people, not have her face glued to a screen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, mo corbin. I am now convinced that I want LeapFrog because so many other Moms swear by it. Maybe I can get the VSmile next time. I'm about to place an order for My First LeapPad. It's currently on sale in the US. Good luck on your search for your grand daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out the Tag Demo:
    http://www.leapfrog.com/tag/demo.shtml

    Check out the entire Tag Microsite:
    http://www.leapfrog.com/tag/

    ReplyDelete