Wednesday, July 4, 2007

The Beauty Corner




It all started with a simple proposal. My friend SS who is HK-based and is a homemaker was looking for a way to earn some extra money. She was living right smack in the middle of Asia's premier shopping destination and wanted to take advantage of the fact. Daily conversations in YM soon became focused on this soon-to-be venture and I humbly accepted the task of being her local "distributor" aka salesperson he he! We started out by offering what looked like Marc Jacobs Stam Bags, without the MJ brand of course. They looked sooooo much like the real thing that we were able to sell them in no time.

I don't remember exactly how the idea developed after that but today SS and I are the proud "owners" of a small online business whom SS named The Beauty Corner.

SS acts as the purchaser and I take care of selling and delivering everything from here. We share in the maintenance of the website. The opportunity couldn't have come at a better time. I spend 90% of my time at home so I needed something to keep me busy.

Modesty aside, the accessories that we carry are really worth all the trouble of importing from HK to Manila. Our customers love the fact that the pieces are one-of-a-kind, not the usual trinkets you find in the Greenhills tiangge or (gahd!) 168 Mall. In fact, I once saw one of our necklaces being sold by another accessory seller (more high-flying compared to our humble negosyo) at a vintage bazaar recently for three times our selling price!

SS never ceases to amaze me with her finds. I'm always looking forward to seeing our new batches and have had to almost handcuff myself so I won't dig into the stuff before anyone else gets a chance to lay eyes on them.

Months after we sold our first batch, we're still here. Not millions of pesos richer but definitely happy that we're alive and surviving in the crowded sea of online sellers. Most of all, I really enjoy and treasure this new-found friendship.

Hope to see you in The Beauty Corner soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment