Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Day 3 : A Bit of Clarity


I promised not to waste any time so my day started early. N and I were in Medical City shortly after 10am for my appointment with the Breast Clinic. My Breast Surgeon, Dra. Aldine Basa ordered an ultrasound so that we could take a better look at my lump.

Thankfully, there were only 2 of us in the waiting area, which meant that we were not going to be there for a long time. After accomplishing the record form, I waited another 15 minutes before someone called my name. I was guided into one of the examination rooms and asked to lie down on the bed. The ultrasound tech (is this what they're called?) went to work soon after.

The exam took all of 20 minutes or so. The whole time, I had my eyes glued to the screen. Sure I was scared. Who wouldn't be? Then there it was ... the lump. I felt numb. I just lay there and fixed my eyes on it the whole time. I asked the girl to measure it for me. 3.74 cm. I asked her what the usual size is and she replied, "Ma'am, 'pag 2cm po malaki na yon"

GULP

I endured the succeeding minutes and made it without crying. I was calm all throughout. It was SOP for the tech to call the Doctor on duty to take a second look before printing out the results. The Doctor saw another lump, a much smaller one (forgot to ask for the size) and confirmed that it was only a cyst. So then I asked, "What about the bigger one? What is it?" The Doctor said it was something else. Not a cyst but a nodule. As if I knew what that meant. So I persisted and asked her some more. A cyst doesn't need to be touched, but a nodule needs to be examined further. That basically confirmed the need for a biopsy, which my Breast Surgeon said we could put on hold first.


Then again, my surgeon hasn't seen the results of the ultrasound yet. That happens tomorrow afternoon.

Am I nervous? I'd be lying if I say "no".
Scared? Again, I can't lie. I am.
Hopeful? Very.
Positive? I could be more, seriously.

But I'm calm, really calm.

I'm so thankful to N for being there again today. He wanted to make sure I wasn't alone.


Also for all those who have been praying for and with me since Monday.
I can't thank everyone enough.

Please continue to pray for me.
The journey is just beginning.

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you dear. Whatever happens, I'm sure you'll hurdle this with your usual grace :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for the kind thoughts and the prayers :)

    ReplyDelete