Monday, August 27, 2012

The Hanging Question on Breast Reconstruction


The thing I need to decide on is whether to have simultaneous breast reconstruction surgery or not. This means that after the mastectomy is concluded by the Breast Surgeon, the Plastic Surgeon steps in to reconstruct the breast. If I get this procedure done, I will wake up after surgery with two breasts still! 

But since things have been happening so fast and the two procedures will be done one after another, as a patient, I'm entitled to study my options and weigh the facts before I say YES. 

Off-hand, this sounds like it doesn't pose any disadvantage whatsoever. I've learned that the main reason women opt to have simultaneous reconstructive surgery is so that they can avoid being depressed or stressed out during the following months when treatments take place. It will be stressful enough to undergo chemotherapy (for some), and looking at an empty slate on your chest may contribute to the stress even more. Makes so much sense, right? 

Initially, my thought was this : "I don't really care about losing one breast. I just want all the crap taken out of my body so I can go on with my life!" That, according to my Breast Surgeon, is a normal reaction. She's heard it so many times from her patients before. But she told me not to make a hasty decision because I have some time to think it over. 

It's already Monday, I need to go back to her tomorrow so we can talk about scheduling the surgery, and yet I haven't decided if I want this or not. If you ask N, he's leaning towards the recon surgery. Errrrr .... he's a MAN and even if he doesn't admit it, I know why! LOL!!! Seriously though, I know him so well. It's not for selfish reasons. He's not the shallow kind. In his mind, if you can avoid any future issues like depression or any type of psychological problem, why not do it? 

I, on the other hand, have been told (especially by my Aunts who are survivors) that they don't think I need it, seeing how strong I've been since this all began. They feel I'm mature enough to handle seeing only one breast everyday for the rest of my life. Besides, if I change my mind, I can still get it done in the future. The only disadvantage to this is that obviously, I go under the knife a second time. 

WHAT TO DO???

My Breast Surgeon has a partner who can take care of the reconstructive procedure. Her name is Dra. Yen Asedillo and I've been told she's very, very good. It's a really small world we live in. The day after I was diagnosed, I was chatting with a very good friend who asked me who my (proposed) reconstructive surgeon will be. When I said the name, she excitedly told me that Dra. Asedillo is her brother's sister-in-law and that she is well-known and trusted by many. 

I found this on her Facebook page 


I totally understand what's going to happen, thanks to this and to my breast surgeon's initial explanation. I'm also waiting to meet Dra. Asedillo so I can personally hear her side.

The really big question that hangs on top of my head right now though is 

DO I WANT IT? 

6 comments:

  1. Excluding all external reasoning, do you really want it? I'm pretty sure you're weighing out your pros and cons right now. Whatever you decide on, I'm most definitely sure that it's going to be the right decision 'coz no one will ever know what's right for your own body than you. I'll pray that the good Lord will give you guidance. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Mommist, I'm trying to figure that one out. I want to make sure I'm wanting it for the right reasons. I also want to wait to hear from the surgeon herself because it may be premature to judge, given that I haven't even met her yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, better to talk with the surgeon first. She'll give you clarity on the matter. My two cents: take things slow. The right decision will come. It always does for people who have a good outlook in life like you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Mommist, thanks! I have a little over a week to decide :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Patty, I'm sorry I'm so huli sa balita, I had no idea this was going on in your life. :(

    Can't provide any valuable input on whether you should or shouldn't do the breast reconstruction (I think maybe I would, but that's just me). Whatever the case I just want you to know you're in my thoughts and prayers, and the most important thing is that at the end of the experience you are cancer-free. I will be praying hard for that. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Chinie! No worries! I had no idea I was going on another roller coaster ride so soon either :)) Thank you for the well-wishes and prayers! :)

    ReplyDelete