Friday, July 1, 2011

Cirque du Soleil : Varekai in Manila



We first heard that they were coming to Manila in April
As soon as I found out how to get tickets, we didn't waste a minute and went online to look

A quick backgrounder:
Anissa has been dreaming about seeing Cirque du Soleil eversince she got interested in dancing and became a varsity cheerleader 3 years ago

"Mom, I have to watch Cirque du Soleil ONCE before I die!"
That's what the drama queen kept saying over and over again

When my Dad heard that the group was touring and including Manila in its itinerary, there was no doubt in his mind that he wanted his best girls to see the show. Imagine all that excitement we've been feeling since those tickets were emailed to us???

FINALLY, the day arrived! Before that, my girls were already counting down to June 30. I was so excited for them but also looking forward to seeing this great act for myself. I prayed hard that it wouldn't rain but it did. Thankfully, the only hassle we experienced was walking from the drop off point to the chapiteau. Everything was good the minute we got in.

We made it just in time for Mom to queue up at the ticket booth for her Senior Citizen cash rebate (20% of the cost of her ticket). We were unaware of this until my good friend told me over lunch not to forget to claim the refund.


By the time we got to the main area, the announcement was booming on the speakers. Showtime in 10 minutes!

The venue was surprisingly smaller than I expected. Not a disappointing fact, though. This is what made everything so comfortable. There were no long queues at the food counters or restrooms during the 25-minute intermission.


The show started promptly at 7:30pm, as stated on our tickets. We found ourselves buying hotdogs and popcorn during the intermission and brought these in with us when the show resumed. Watching it made me forget to check on the time. There was no need to, we were captivated and had our eyes on the stage the entire time. If someone from the production side was taking a video of the audience, I'm absolutely sure I had a "dropped jaw" look 80% of the time. The stage was within arm's reach. Sabine got scared in the beginning because we were THAT close. I was so focused on watching the movements and the beautiful costumes!

But nothing was more precious than the screams and smiles the show elicited from my girls.

Sabine was clueless about Cirque du Soleil until this. Now she can't stop talking about it.

Cameras of any kind were not allowed inside the chapiteau so all of our photos were taken outdoors before and after the show.

But even if this was the case, we went home sans sorry feelings.

Only happy memories of our amazing Varekai experience!!!


For those who are just about to watch it, here are a few tips I'd like to share:

  • Bring an umbrella because you need to walk from your car to the tent and back. You don't want to do it minus protection if it rains, especially if the kids are with you.
  • The restrooms are quite clean and air-conditioned but it would help to bring hand sanitizer or baby wipes if you're OC like me.
  • The site opens at 6:30pm so be there early if you want to grab a quick bite or look around in the area where souvenirs are sold.
  • Take advantage of Sunlife Financial's photo booth. The photos are free. We didn't have time to do this. Best to get your photo taken before the show starts. It was crowded during the intermission.
  • Sign up at the Manila Hotel booth to get free Varekai stationery.
  • The airconditioning inside the chapiteau is cold. Bring a light jacket, sweater or shawl.
LASTLY ...

HAVE LOTS OF FUN
That's an order!!!



2 comments:

  1. We're watching tomorrow at 3:30pm. In my excitement, I'm trying to convince Mio to be absent from Judo practice (10am-12nn) in school. I want to leave Laguna at 1pm kasi. OA ano?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! Super duper OA! But may I suggest a heavy merienda at Emerald Garden along Roxas Blvd? Winner dimsum! :)

    ReplyDelete