Monday, July 4, 2011

Weird morning


I'm 42 but I've experienced a nosebleed probably about 2-3x in this lifetime. So when I woke up this morning to one, it felt so weird. I can't even remember the last time I had one.

This prompted me to Google about it.

Nosebleeds can be triggered by extreme weather conditions : bitter cold or very hot climates. I didn't hit my nose anywhere so it can't be any kind of trauma that caused it. It can also be caused by self-infliction (kids are more susceptible to this) and by inherited bleeding problems.

I'm guessing that what caused mine is the weather and how weird it's been lately. Thankfully, the bleeding didn't last very long.

Here's what you can do to stop it, if it happens to you :

  1. Pinch all the soft parts of the nose together between your thumb and index finger.

  2. Press firmly toward the face - compressing the pinched parts of the nose against the bones of the face.

  3. Lean forward slightly with the head tilted forward. Leaning back or tilting the head back allows the blood to run back into your sinuses and throat and can cause gagging or inhaling the blood.

  4. Hold the nose for at least five minutes. Repeat as necessary until the nose has stopped bleeding.

Have a good start of the week!




No comments:

Post a Comment