Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Jaycee Dugard and thoughts on motherhood

I tuned out for a few minutes last night to watch Diane Sawyer's interview with Jaycee Dugard.
Jaycee was kidnapped at 11 and held for 18 years by her captors. Today, she's back home with two children, whom she gave birth to while in captivity.

Her story is definitely one for the books. How a human being can be held that long and survive to tell her story is just unbelievable. I started tearing up within the first 2 minutes of the interview. You can watch it yourself on ABC's website.

Other than resiliency and strength, the story of Jaycee Dugard made me learn new things about motherhood. She said that the one thing that kept her going was the hope of seeing her mother again. Wonderful memories she had of how good her mother was to her were enough to make her want to live to see her again.

Which brought me to think...

What kind of mother am I?
When separated from me (for whatever reason) for a long period, would my children hang on to my memory and look forward to the day they see me again?

Worth thinking about, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment