Wednesday, June 22, 2011

What's it like to wear glasses?



My eldest has asked me this again and again. She was once diagnosed with astigmatism and wore glasses but it turned out to be a passing fancy for her. After a couple of trips to the optical store and 2 eyeglass frames, she gave up on wearing them. I, on the other hand, need to wear mine all the time. Otherwise and when the occasion calls for it, I wear contact lenses. Started wearing them around 15 years ago, same time I had Anissa.

I began investing in frames soon after I discovered that you can't wear contact lenses all the time. I used to think that lenses were the wiser option regardless of where you are, what you're doing. But there are times when my eyes just feel too exhausted from wearing them, I have to switch to glasses just to give them the much-needed break.

What's it like? It's really a pain, if you ask me. They're a pain to wear when the weather is warm (my face tends to get oily so the frames kind of slide down my non-Caucasian/Spanish nose) or when it's raining (glasses don't come with built-in wipers you know). But wearing them all these years have made me accept the fact that I can't live without them.

The next best thing to do, was to look fashionable in them! They can be quite painful to the wallet though, so be smart when buying. At the moment, I probably have about 5 or 6 of them. Some are branded, the others are not. The unbranded ones are what I usually wear when I'm at home. It also helps that you coordinate them with whatever you're wearing for the day.

Here are just some of what I have (my most abused ones, actually)

Tortoise frames by Oakley
I can't remember what this model is called

Metallic red frames by Bebe

Black frames by Bebe

The others are either dirty or hidden somewhere because I haven't been paying much attention to them. These three are the ones I rotate on a daily basis.

Ahhhh but these ... these are the ones in my dreams!


Gucci Horsebit



Prada Tortoise

Chanel with the cute flower detail (I'm still trying to figure out if this
will suit me)

These frames are all listed in eBay at the moment, and with several bids on each of them. Prices range from USD 150 to 250. Should I or should I?

Think think think!




2 comments: