Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Family That Sings Together


I've loved singing and dancing eversince I was a toddler. I have memories of my Dad playing the guitar while I sang Sergio Mendes' "Put a Little Love Away" at age 3. There were many other songs that he taught me. He and I often sang duets at family gatherings. Our favorite being "Unforgettable", originally sung by father-daughter act, Nat King Cole and Natalie Cole.

The love for singing runs in my family and strangely enough, although it's my Dad who sings, no one else on his side of the family does. Most of my relatives on my Mom's side do. My cousins who don't sing are still musically-inclined and talented on the guitar or piano.

Just like my 15 year old, Anissa who tries out her new electric guitar in this video
(she won't admit it but she has a good singing voice, just too shy to sing)


This next video is of me and my cousin, Ricky who's based in California.
The video was taken during his last visit early this year. We always have to have a karaoke night everytime he comes over.


Here I am with my cousin, Dino, who jokingly belts out this song (thanks to a few bottles of beer). He loves to sing just like the rest of us. Just don't mind the exaggerated moves, those are brought to you by the alcohol as well LOL.


The genes just keep showing up in the younger generations
Here's my 5 year old Sabine singing a song that I know so well
She heard me singing it once and took to it like a pro on her first attempt


This is another Cali-based cousin, Martin, performing for his Senior class
His siblings are great on the piano, too, just like their late mom (my Mom's younger sis) who was and still is my all-time favorite Aunt. (I miss you, Tita Peps)


I've never seen or heard my other cousins sing/perform live. I've been dreaming of the day we can all get together in another reunion and perform like there's no tomorrow. I just know it's going to be one hell of a party.

One day, one day ...

P.S.
My niece, Mia, goes to a performing arts high school in California and has an amazing voice.
I hope to find a video soon so I can share it here, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment